French Voyageurs and the Fur Trade: In September 1615, explorer Étienne Brùlé, travelling with a group of Huron/Wendat allies, followed the Carrying Place Trail/Pathway** south from Lake Simcoe to Lake Ontario, making Brùlé likely the first white man to reach Lake Ontario. Brùlé was on a mission for Samuel de Champlain to find more First Nations allies in their quest to control the lucrative fur trade and meet Europe’s enormous demand for (mostly) beaver pelts. Felt hats made of beaver pelts had become highly fashionable in Europe.
When a group of English merchants aiming to gain control of the fur trade sent a flotilla to New France (including modern day Ontario) Brùlé deserted Champlain to join the English who soundly defeated Champlain in 1629. After Champlain’s death in 1633 Brùlé returned to the Huron, who now considered him a traitor. The Huron burned him at the stake, dismembered him and ate his heart. The Iroquois, who were allies of the English also vying to control the fur trade, began destroying Huron and Algonquin settlements on the north shore of Lake Ontario. At this time Teiaigon was ransacked and the Huron, who fled for the south shores of Lake Ontario, abandoned the village leaving it for the Iroquois.
In 1687, a French-led army attacked their long-time adversaries, the Iroquois, burning Teiaigon to the ground and killing its inhabitants. The series of conflicts over the fur trade is now known as the Beaver Wars (or Iroquois Wars or French and Iroquois Wars). The land comprising modern day Baby Point was ceded to the Mississauga, who occupied a village on the west bank of the Humber River.
Le Magasin Royale: The Douville brothers started trading at the Humber River mouth in 1716. Under the orders of Governor Denonville, Douville built the fort known as Le Magasin Royale in 1720 at the site of modern day Baby Point. Le Magasin Royale and Fort Rouille (where exhibition park now stands) were the first two European establishments in what is now Toronto. The probable location of Le Magasin Royale is where the tennis courts and Baby Point Club stand today. In exchange for fur pelts, Douville’s list of traded goods includes buttons, shirts, ribbons, combs, knives, looking glasses, axes, flour, lard, salt, pepper, prunes, raisins, olive oil, tobacco, vermillion, powder and shot. Le Magasin Royale was abandoned in 1730 as new establishments were built to the south of the site.
**The Carrying Place Trail/Pathway was a long portage along the eastern shore of the Humber River. The route terminated when reaching navigable water at some unknown spot on the Holland River near Holland Marsh. It was a route to Lake Simcoe and the fur-rich lands to the north and west. This route was used not only by First Nations, but also by the coureurs-de-bois. It was integral to the trade for beaver pelts in Canada, feeding the seemingly insatiable European market for fur.